Childish Gambino continues a furious week of new releases and news with the exciting announcement of a new mixtape on the way, presented by DJ Drama’s Gangsta Grillz, titled stnmtn/kauai. STN MTN stands for Stone Mountain, Georgia, where Donald grew up and Kauai is a Hawaiian island. Maybe Glover recorded out there? Whatever the case, I’m all for new Gambino music, especially in mixtape format, and it doesn’t hurt that the well-designed cover art features a mix of eye-catching pastels. Hopefully more details/previews to come soon…
‘Signed To The Streets 2’ is officially here before Melo makes his decision. All fun aside, the 18-track project features French Montana, Migos, Ca$h Out, Cardo, Young Chop amongst more and is hosted by DJ Drama and Don Cannon. Stream/download/enjoy.
1. Ready For Em (Produced by Cardo)
2. Ten Four (Produced By Murda Beats)
3. War Wit Us (Produced By Tarentino)
4. Rumors (Produced By C-Sick)
5. Dont Take It Personal (Produced by Dree The Drummer)
6. Party (Produced By Young Chop)
7. I Made It (Produced By Young Chop)
8. Don’t Know Me
9. Feds Listenin (Produced By Young Chop)
10. What You Do To Me (Produced By Squat)
11. I Go Ft. Johnny May Cash (Produced By Young Chop)
12. Lil Niggaz Ft. Migos, Cash Out (Produced by Dree The Drummer)
13. Gas And Mud (Produced By Murda Beatz)
14. Live It Up (Produced By BackPack)
15. Perfect Picture (Produced By LeekeLeek)
16. Hell In My City
17. Ain’t Did Shit (Produced By Dree THe Drummer)
18. Fly High ft. French Montana
DOWNLOAD: Lil Durk ‘Signed To The Streets 2’
Culminating (hopefully) a whirlwind of content on the 2014 XXL Freshmen, DJ Drama combines with XXL to drop their annual mixtape with the upcoming artists. The 21-track project boasts all-new tracks from the 12 Freshmen, with the likes of 2 Chainz, Fabolous and Lloyd Banks appearing as guest features. Peruse, stream, download below.
More entertaining than the individuals, IMO. XXL puts out its first 2014 XXL Freshman Class group cypher and this one features the lineup of Kevin Gates, Vic Mensa, August Alsina, Isaiah Rashad, and Chance The Rapper capping it off. Icing on the cake is DJ Drama scratching a lethal production from Don Cannon that acts as the backdrop for the aforementioned freshmen.
Gates was a good first emcee on it because I feel the beat matched his gritty style well. I don’t know if I could say the same for Vic to keep it real, I thought he coulda flowed better and I didn’t vibe with the fake phone call act he started off with. His lyrics had its moments though. August Alsina added a dope dimension to the cypher, singing a pseudo hook to break it up and finish the cypher completely. Isaiah Rashad was the third emcee and though solid, he didn’t stand out like the beginning of Chano’s addition to the cypher up last. Who was your favorite?